Monday, February 18, 2008

Yoga Asana's, Stretching and the "Shake of Truth"

The “shake of truth”.... When one stretches the muscles, fibers break and then realign into the position that they are stretched in.

I believe that muscles learn the correct alignment the best the longer the stretch is held.

In my practice, I hold my asana's in an isometric position and encourage my clients to do the same. In doing so, this will maximize the full benefits of stretching. For instance, I was working with one of my clients and we were doing a hamstring stretch and her leg started to tremor. When that happens, there is nothing wrong - it just means that energy is flowing, muscles are realigning and movement is happening. As we discussed her leg tremor, she told me she had just moved from North Carolina and her yoga teacher there called the tremor the “shake of truth.” I love that saying.
When you are doing your practice at home, and the tremor happens, try not to shy away from it.....welcome the visitation of the “shake of truth”!

Namaste


Blessings and Creativity,
~Emily Huber
Seeing Through The Hands Studio
Specializing in:
Massage, Yoga and Personal Training for both Children and Adults
Cell - 646-259-1451
Studio - 347-597-9306
Email - Yogaemz@gmail.com
www.newyorkcitymassageandyoga.com

No comments: